Saturday, September 13, 2014

Eggplant Dressing

My Mom was a vegetarian until she married my father. One of her favorite recipes (and mine!) from her vegetarian days was eggplant dressing. It's just like dressing with meat, only subbed with eggplant. I'm the only one in my house that like eggplant so I always get a really small eggplant. It makes just enough for me to have for a meal. Mom, of course, used oil to cook her eggplant but I use vegetable broth and I think it's a lot better!

Eggplant Dressing

1 small eggplant, peeled and diced
1/4 sweet onion, sliced or diced
vegetable broth
black pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
sea salt, optional
Brown rice, cooked

Line a sauce pot with vegetable broth and place eggplant and onion in pot. Season with a light touch, you want the flavor of the eggplant to come through. Cook on medium until it comes to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and cook until eggplant and onion are tender and taste done. Add a little vegetable broth as needed to ensure eggplant stays nice and moist.

Mix into rice (as a dressing) or serve over rice. I use Lundgren's Wild Rice Blend (that's what the black bits are in the photo). This is also really good on pasta!

Add salt to each individual serving, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment