Sunday, August 9, 2015

Vegetable Soup

My Mom made the absolute best vegetable soup in the world! I've tried to copy it without using meat, but haven't gotten the results I've wanted...until now. This soup satisfies my hunger and my soul. I can close my eyes and remember eating Mom's soup as a child. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. The liquid smoke and No Beef Base are optional, but highly recommended for the deep, rich flavor I look for in vegetable soup.

Vegetable Soup

1 small wedge cabbage, shredded
1 can green beans, mostly drained
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 large onion, chopped
3 small gold potatoes, medium diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 bag frozen roasted vegetables, optional
4 carrots, scrubbed and sliced
1 can lima beans, mostly drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
1 small can water
vegetable broth
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder
onion powder
liquid smoke, optional
1 teaspoon Better Than Broth No Beef Base, optional
1/4 cup rice or other grain (to give the soup a little substance)
 
Put all ingredients in a Dutch oven and bring to a boil. Lower fire and cover. Cook on low (hard
simmer) until cooked, about 1 hour, adding vegetable broth as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment