Friday, July 4, 2014

Cheesy Sauce

All of the cheese sauce recipes I've seen so far are made with cauliflower or soaked cashews. I love cauliflower but sometimes I just don't want to deal with the gas later. And I really don't want to make a habit of eating nuts since I need to lose some weight. So I've been wondering how can I make a cheesy sauce without either of those ingredients. I went to the kitchen tonight to steam some potatoes (I like steamed better than baked in the microwave and it's just too darned hot to cook them in the oven!) I realized that, like cauliflower and cashews, the potato is a neutral taste. So I steamed an extra potato and made this sauce and I love it! Since I started eating a starch based diet, I've been very happy with simple tasting things. Please feel free to tweak according to your own tastes.

Cheesy Sauce

1 medium baked or steamed russet or gold potato
1 cup plant milk (less if you want thicker sauce)
1 cup nutritional yeast
Salt, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Onion powder, to taste

Peel the potato, cut it into chunks and place in a blender. Pour some plant milk just until about 1/2 to 3/4 of the potato is covered. Add the nutritional yeast and blend on high. Add more milk until the sauce is the consistency you want. When I want it kind of thick like a real cheese sauce I add a little less milk. Taste and add a little salt if needed.

Note that this sauce thickens up in the fridge.


2 comments:

  1. Do you have a face book page? I'm making your cheese sauce right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't, thanks for asking. This blog really just started out as a way for me to keep track of my recipes and to share them with friends. I hope you enjoy the cheesy sauce!

    ReplyDelete